According to Wladyslaw Okas' book "From history of Tuszyn. Calendar", the Jews of Tuszyn are first mentioned in 1660. Prior to their arrival, the Swedish army destroyed the town in 1655. We can suppose at that time the owners of Tuszyn invited Jews to settle in the town in order to develop the economy. In 1683, additional Jews arrived and bought property and houses. In 1781, eighty-six Jews were recorded as living in Tuszyn. Very shortly afterwards, the Jews began to regulate and control the craft and trade of the town. Their increasing position in the development of the town brought about resentment from the Christian segment of the population. One of the greatest problem was the right to produce and sell alcohol. This was an industry which was handled by the Jewish residents.
The Jewish participation in the economy of Tuszyn is illustrated in the following statistics, reflecting the structure of different work groups in 1849: tailors: 21 people (all Jews), blacksmiths: 10 people (no Jews), tanners: 5 people (all Jews), bakers: 8 people (6 Jews), cobblers: 11 people (no Jews). The Jews benefited by the discovery of natural sources of mineral water in Tuszyn. Some members of the Jewish community arranged transportation and accommodations for visitors coming to the spa.
As in many other towns throughout the region, the 19th and 20th centuries brought an era of dynamic growth of Jewish population. In 1831, 350 Jews lived in Tuszyn; in 1882, the number rose to 1.248. The Jewish community of Tuszyn already had already established its own synagogue, hospital and three prayer houses. Chasidism had many followers. The most popular Jewish surnames in Tuszyn were: Adler, Blady,Cola, Fuks, Goldsztajn, Hecht, Fryd, Przedborski and Szwarc.